I think it’s time to mix it up on the blog a bit. I’m tired of just posting about house updates all the time, I miss doing fun creative projects and sharing them with y’all.
So here’s what I’m thinking, a new blog series where I pick something I have always wanted to try, or think looks like fun, or have been meaning to learn for forever and haven’t, and I actually do it. What a crazy idea, right? Not only that though, I want us to do it as a group.
These “challenges” will pop up randomly (because y’all know how much I hate committing to a schedule) and I will tell you all about the project I’m gong to try. I’ll give a deadline for having your project finished, I’m thinking two or three weeks should be sufficient time. Anyway, on that day I’ll have a new post up and tell you whether I succeeded or failed (and share all the stories and photos that go along with it), and at the bottom of the post I will have a link party so we can all share. So if you have a blog write a post about your project and add it to the party, and if you don’t then I want to hear about it in the comments (feel free to link to your instagram or however you share photos).
So here is the first project. Ya’ll are familiar with macrame, right? You know, macrame….
It was popular back in the 70’s and is back in full force today.
So here’s the thing…it’s not my favorite. I mean, I don’t hate it, but it’s not something I would hunt down to put in my house. However, I think it looks like a ton of fun to make. It looks like a challenge, but the kind of challenge you can do while sitting in front of the TV at night after your kids are in bed. That’s the kind of project I miss doing.
Anyway, on Wednesday June 28th I will post my followup where I will either come back with something looking like this (ha)….
Only time will tell.
I’ve already bought my supplies, I plan to make (try to make) a wall hanging and maybe a plant holder. I bought this cotton cord from Amazon and a dowel from Home Depot, and that’s all the supplies I need. I tried to pick a project that didn’t have a huge expensive supply list, and this one definitely fits the bill! Also, I know absolutely nothing about macrame, so here are some resources I plan on using –
- Basic macrame knot guide
- How to tie macrame knots video
- Six basic macrame knots
- DIY macrame plant hanger tutorial
- Macrame wall hanging for beginners – free pattern
- Simple DIY macrame necklace
- Basic macrame knots tutorial
- Macrame knot necklace tutorial
- DIY macrame pendant
- Macrame patterns
So, just to sum it all up, here are the rules –
- Pick any macrame project to try, You can make a wall hanging, plant hanger, table runner, jewelry, a hammock, light fixture, whatever.
- Do your project. You may succeed and make something beautiful, or you may fail and curse me for making you try such a horrid craft. Both are acceptable outcomes!
- Come back on June 28th and tell me all about it
- If you have a blog then write a post to share at the link party, if you don’t then you can link to your (public) instagram, Facebook, twitter, pinterest pin (you can do a manual upload), or whatever you want in the comments.
That’s it…I’m interested to see how this turns out! Also, I’d love some suggestions on future projects to try…anything you think looks interesting? Please share!