Introducing “Oakmoss”

As many of you know, I’ve been struggling to choose a color for our kitchen cabinets. Adam started building the cabinets about eight months ago and asked me to choose a color, and the only thing I was sure of is that I wanted some sort of green. So I started looking at light, airy, neutral greens, and landed on “Grassland” from Sherwin Williams.

Grassland

island cabinets

He painted the cabinets that color, and I instantly hated it. So I started looking for darker alternatives and settled on a neutral green called Herbal Wash.

Sherwin Williams Herbal Wash

Sherwin Williamns - Grassland, Svelte Sage, Herbal Wash

I liked it better for sure (although that picture makes it look less brown than it is), but I still wasn’t that excited about it.

So I kept looking for alternatives, mostly in the light brownish green category, and none of them made me the kind of excited you should be when you are trying to design your dream kitchen.

So a couple of weeks ago I started over. I asked myself what color green actually made me excited.

The first thing I thought of was this cactus wallpaper that I love and am planning to put in the boys bathroom. It’s amazing.

Then I thought of this green chair I have that makes me smile.

retro green chair

I bought it a few years ago at Salvation Army and paid more for it than I probably should have. I know, you think it’s weird and probably hate it. Adam despises it too and swore up and down it wasn’t going to make it into the new house, but here it is. It is absolutely the most comfortable, snuggly chair EVER (Adam agrees about that part), but that’s not why I love it. I love it because of the color.

IMG_5320W

See? So comfy you can even fall asleep in the middle of chaos and construction.

I also have a thing for green vintage barn lights, which I’ve been collecting for the new house.

vintage green barn light

Then I started to go though my pinterest page and pick out the images with green that make me swoon.

Looking through all these pictures made me realize that I was trying to play it safe. I had been picking a color I love, but not a shade I love.

And so, I’d like to introduce y’all to “Oakmoss” by Sherwin Williams.

Oakmoss - SW6180

Sherwin Williams Oakmoss

It’s dark, its bold, and I’m actually excited about it. I’ve already started painting it on the cabinets and I pretty much think it’s the best thing ever. As soon as I’m finished I’ll post pictures!

(Although, if you want a sneak peek you can check out my concrete countertop post from Friday, I pretty much ruined the surprise with that one.)

Like it? Share it!Pin on Pinterest11Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0

Comments

1. Jamie Lynn says:

You know, had you not mentioned it was in the previous post, I never would have noticed it in some of the photos! Just a testament, I guess, to how fantastic those countertops look!! But now that I see it (some of it anyway), I totally agree that it looks MUCH better than the original green. Can’t wait to see everything all together!! It’s been so much fun following along with this house build, I’m so excited for the 5 of you to finally get to enjoy it in it’s totally finished state soon!! :)

2. Jan Horwood says:

That’s a gorgeous colour! It will look amazing.
    That comfy chair looks like it would go perfectly up against that wallpaper, like it’s just another, bigger cactus!

3. Eva Kiser says:

That shade of green is perfection itself. Great choice.

4. Samantha Pereira says:

Love the new green… Gorgeous!

5. OMG…I can hardly wait for your next post to show up! I love this green and it just makes you feel good all over! Yay for you to be diligent to wait til you found the right color! I so love all your detail and I know it takes time to share…thank you so much! Am excited for you and your family!!

6. Great choice on the cabinet colors. I can’t wait to see the finished result. For what it is worth I LOVE that chair & think it would go great with the cactus wall paper. :)

7. I am so glad you like green, I am sick of seeing blue EVERYWHERE. I thought the old color was nice, it’s hard to tell from a can what this will look like. Good luck I hope you are happy with it.

• I’m sick of seeing grey. It may be okay in very sunny climates but here in grey day Ohio it will really be depressing.

8. I rarely comment, but I am so excited for you guys! My husband I are dreaming of building our next house! I am excited to see the new color! It is hard to see the can, and I recall you talking about types of paint previously when you touched up in your old house, but can you tell me what type of paint from sherwin williams you decided to use? Thanks!

• For the cabinets I choose ProClassic From Sherwin Williams, which is what I would recommend. However, the one in the picture is Solo, which is the contractor version of ProClassic. You can only buy it if you are a painter by trade (we bought it through our painters account) and its $19 a gallon vs. $60 something for ProClassic. We used Solo when we painted the trim in the new house and it was great, but this green can is awful. It’s very watery and I think I’m going to end up doing four coats on the cabinets to get it to cover.

If you want something more budget friendly I’ve really liked the Behr Ultra, it’s reasonably priced and the coverage is excellent.
      Ashley recently posted..House Regrets, Second Chances, and Glorious Glorious BeamsMy Profile

9. Wendy Johnson says:

Oh good for you to be daring and do what your heart desires, hope they turn out beautifully and exactly the way you pictured!

10. Green is my absolute favorite as well! I collect the green handled vintage kitchen tools, jadeite glassware, and chippy old wooden items! I’m going to check out the color. We’re redoing our kitchen soon and want to have the island a color instead of wood.

11. Kayla Wiens says:

That’s the Ashley I know! Bold and beautiful! Good choice,ash!