Let’s talk about Christmas gift giving for a second.
I know each family has different ways of handling Christmas gifts. Some buy for every person, some draw names, some just do a White Elephant (or Dirty Santa, or Yankee Swap, or a variety of other names.)
We have done each of those ways. It used to be that we got a gift for each person, and while I appreciate the thought behind that, it’s stressful. (I’m talking aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins here). Then we started drawing names, which was much easier…unless you drew that impossible person, then it was really stressful. If your only giving one gift it had better be awesome, right? In the last few years we started doing the white elephant, and I have to tell you…it is awesome. (Read about it here on Wikipedia if you have no earthly idea what I’m talking about.) It’s great because you just buy a gift without anyone in mind, just something useful or unique that people wouldn’t normally buy for themselves. And then you get to play a game around it, stealing gifts from your loved ones and making silent strategies with your spouse. I’m sure some of y’all think this sounds terrible and completely grinch-like, but I think it’s great. Then again, gift receiving isn’t my love language…I’m an acts of service girl (if y’all haven’t read this book on love languages, order it now. Seriously, it will change your marriage.)
I say all of that to say that today I have a great giveaway from Uncommon Goods, which is a fantastic place to buy gifts…no matter how you go about it. They have really unique gifts…lots of handmade stuff and things you’ve never seen anywhere else. So instead of buying someone $50 worth of batteries or swapping gift cards you can get them something totally unique and awesome. You can provide the gift that everyone fights over and steals during your White Elephant.
Adam and I actually have to buy seven White Elephant gifts, plus stuff for the kiddos, so here are some of the things I’ve picked out…
(if you’re related to me you can stop reading now).
This is kinetic sand, and I’ve wanted to play with it ever since I included it in an article I wrote for Houzz. It’s 98% sand, and the other 2% is some sort of binding agent that makes it not like sand at all. I think I might just get some…you know, for the kids.
I’m not a big tea or coffee drinker, but I still think this mug is cool and would make a great White Elephant gift. I mean, it’s a floating cup with a built-in coaster. That’s awesome.
Adam and I don’t have any pets, and with two little boys I don’t think I can handle one. Except a fish…a can handle a fish. This tank would be great in my kitchen since it is also a aquaponics system and we could grow some fresh herbs within arms reach.
If your house is anything like mine then you will think this is pretty neat…even though it looks crazy. You hang all your shower bottles from these “squid arms” and you don’t even have to remove them to use them. My kids main goal during a bath is to dump out as much body wash as possible the second I look away, but with this that couldn’t happen. It’s like money in the bank.
These little guys are trash cans. Big whoop right…a trash can. But these are built to also store those plastic grocery bags that live under your sink, so they are ready to go when you take out a bag. two birds, one stone. Now if only they came in more colors.
A glass candy jar that looks like a ziplock bag…how fun is that? I also think it would look great with a beta fish in it.
Uncommon Goods has offered to give one lucky reader a $75 gift certificate so you can buy some Christmas gifts (for yourself or someone else – I won’t judge!) Use the rafflecopter below to enter, it loads a kinda slow but it should show up. (Sign in with either your e-mail or facebook and follow the directions on the widget.)
Also, with every purchase you make Uncommon Goods will donate $1 to the charity of your choice. Since starting this program (Better to Give) over 12 years ago they have donated over $700,000 to charities worldwide.
Now go finish your shopping :)