Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about I want my blog to be when it grows up. It’s grown a lot recently and I can foresee it becoming an actual full time job in the future. Which, let me say, is amazing. When I started this blog I never ever ever would have believed that it would become what it has. Sharing my projects with y’all is seriously the most perfect dream job and I couldn’t be more excited about it…my husband isn’t complaining about having a few extra dollars lying around either :)
Balancing blogging and family is one of the biggest issues I’ve heard talked about since I entered the blogosphere. Those of you that aren’t bloggers may think this sounds silly, but blogging takes a ton of time. Doing all the projects, taking and editing pictures, and writing posts are all very time consuming, but there is so much more. Responding to comments, linking up to parties, keeping up with social media, and answering e-mails take just as much time as the actual blogging part. I LOVE all your e-mails and comments so don’t think I’m saying otherwise, but they do take up a lot of my day. I’ve seen so many bloggers get to the point where their blog is taking up so much of their time that they have to step back and remember that being a wife and a mother is their number one priority. I’ve seen blogs shut down over the issue and I don’t want to get the point where I have to choose, because this blog will lose. (I’m a poet!)
So what are my plans for the future of Domestic Imperfection?
- I want my blog to be exactly what it is now. I know that as blogs grow people feel pressure to pump out projects or post every single day to keep up with demand. Sometimes they do lots of guest posts, bring on contributors, or just feature lots of other people’s projects. Let me just say that I have absolutely NO problem with that, it’s just not the direction I want my blog to take. I’m not saying I won’t ever have a guest post, I simply don’t want to lose my voice on my own website.
- I want to post randomly, whenever it is convenient for me. I would like to post once a week, but beyond that you should have no expectations of me. I’m never going to be an everyday poster. I want my posts to continue to be “meaty”…by that I mean that most of my posts can stand alone and will be just as useful in five years as they are now. Also, I want y’all be excited when you see a new post from me because you know it’s chock full of project awesomeness, and I think that’s more important that posting everyday or even posting on a schedule.
- I really just want this to be an outlet for me to share my projects, progress on our renovations, and whatever else I feel like writing. That’s it. I don’t want to force creativity just so that I have something to write about. I’m only going to do projects that I would do whether I had a blog or not….hence the random posting.
- I don’t want it to become about making money. Don’t get me wrong, I want to make money, but I don’t want to compromise content to do that.
- I promise to only recommend products that I love, are relevant, and I would spend my own money on.
- I may write a few sponsored post in the future. I’ve been a member of Social Spark for a while – it’s a website that connects blogs to companies and pays bloggers to write post about products. So far I’ve turned down every offer I’ve gotten from them, even on products I like and are relevant. I do not want to come across as a commercial, that’s not what this is about. That being said, they are starting to offer A LOT of money for a post (like triple digits, and not the kind that start with a 1), so if I come across a great product I may try to weave it into a project post so y’all won’t even notice. And if you do, please do your best to not feel betrayed. (For an example of a sponsored post that was written well, go HERE. The only reason I know this was a sponsored post is because I turned down this offer. Also, she tells you it is, lol ).
- I don’t ever want to get to the point where blogging isn’t fun and I certainly don’t want it to become a chore or obligation.
- My full time job will always be as a wife and a mother. My part time job will be this blog.
- I would like to be a little more organized. I don’t currently schedule posts, so when you see a post appear it’s because I just finished writing it five minutes earlier. I have no idea what I’m going to write about from day to day…I usually have ten or so posts sitting in drafts, and I just pick what I feel like writing about and go with it. Most of the time the drafts are no more that a title, they’re just there so I don’t forget to write about a project. I’m not going to change my methods drastically, I just would like to have a few posts scheduled, so I don’t feel like I have to write something immediately because I haven’t posted in a week.
- I don’t think I’ll ever have a link party. I know, it’s pretty much a right of passage, but there are SO MANY link parties that we really don’t need another one. I may consider a monthly one if y’all beg me (because I really would love to feature some awesome reader projects) but y’all would have to show some serious interest and I just don’t see that happening.
- Basically I’m just going to be myself. I’m going to post what I want, when I want. I’m going to show you pictures of my dirty house and even dirtier kids. I’m going to continue to start sentences with “and” or “but” and use “y’all” more than you thought possible. I’ll still dish out the sarcasm and be stingy with my exclamation points. It’s gotten me this far, right?
So I think that about covers it! I’d love to hear y’alls feedback…things you like about my blog, things you could do without, what you would like to see more of, etc. Just be nice about it :)